Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Questions for Jeff Pasley's section, Aug. 31

You can answer any of these:

  • Is there anything to be said in favor of the political ideas put forward by Thomas Hobbes and Robert Filmer in your online reader?
  • Would you compare the United States, or the town you come from, to a family? Would you compare your family to a body? Why or why not?
  • What are some similarities and differences between the values children are taught in present-day schools and those taught in the New England Primer?
You can also answer the question I threw out earlier about the "Great Chain of Being"?

2 Comments:

Blogger allisonjoy said...

I can see the ways in which my hometown and/or the USA could be compared to a body, but there are inconsistancies in the metaphor. Everyone in the US has a function that somehow connects back to the body (after all a job wouldn't be a job unless it helped someone else out). However, US citizens could easily pack up and move outside of the country and the effects wouldn't be nearly as detrimental as a thumb deciding it would rather be on someone else's body.

Friday, September 01, 2006 12:07:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is hard to say if I would consider my home/town a family to me. I think to some points I would, in which my neighbors would do anything for me, if it was a cup of sugar, or if my car broke down on the side of the road. But that is just a very small part of my community. I live in a large city and I definately dont know everyone, so in that since i would not call my city a big family. but for the people that i do know and do talk to in my city, i would definalty call us a little family, but not to the extent of my real family who would die for me.

Friday, December 08, 2006 12:39:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home