Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Kris Maulden's Questions - March 23/24

This week we'll be discussing Charlotte Temple and considering the places of women and other minorities in the Revolution and early republic. I'll also leave time for anyone who has questions about the second midterm (that's right, it's the week after we return from spring break). With all of that in mind, here are my questions:

1. What does the author's description of Mr. Temple (p. 6) tell you about middle-class men in England and America? What were their hopes and dreams, especially for their children?

2. What do you think of the ending of the novel? What do you think the author is telling us through Charlotte's story?

3 Comments:

Blogger Jeff Pasley said...

There will be a study guide posted sometime Thursday or Friday.

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 8:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The end of the novel was kind of depressing; basically Charlotte spends half of the book actually in depression as the result of a man slowly leaving her for another woman, whom he eventually marries. Although she bore his child, she is left poor and heartbroken, without, what she thinks, anyone who loves her. I honestly do not know what point the author is trying to make though; maybe something about filial piety, or stick with a good thing, which is for her, having a good name.

Friday, March 24, 2006 8:19:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I changed my mind about the book after I went to class. I realized it really did not have to do that much with what I said prior, but rather, women at that time were pretty much helpless unless they had a man, or their parents I guess.

Friday, March 24, 2006 12:34:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home