Tuesday, January 17, 2006

"Wu-Tang (and Rick) are for the children" - a helpful note on sections

Hello everyone!
Just want to make sure that everyone knows where they're supposed to be for their sections on Thursday/Friday. I'm Rick (the "dark haired" one) and I'm teaching sections B, D, E, F, H & J. Most of the bulidings are very easy to find, if you're not familiar with Hill it is just west of Jesse Hall. I would describe my teaching style as a sort of pedagogic mullet - business in the front, party in the back. I like class to be relaxed and hope that everyone will feel comfortable discussing their ideas and interpretations; ideally this exchange will result in a deeper understanding of historical experience with a recognition that history isn't simply believing what we've been told via TV, coaches, well-intentioned parents, and ideologues- the very embodiment of a rational public sphere. (note: except for with Dr. Pasley, you can believe what he tells you)

Please be aware that sections H & J, Friday @ 11:00 have been combined and will meet in Cornell 9 (do not got to Crowder at 11:00 even if your class schedule tells you to). Several students are already asking about the assigned readings for this week and I can say that we will not be discussing the books in my sections this week. However, you do have quite a bit of reading and it is always a good idea to get a head start. Discussion questions for each week's sections will be posted Monday evening to give you some time to reflect before class.

This week I will discuss the syllabus in more detail, tell you more about me, and find out more about you. So between now and then, visualize talking in front of people and think about the various aspects of pop culture that bring you the most joy. (tv, film, music, etc.- for example, I take a historical interest in, and have lectured on, rap music, of which Wu Tang is my favorite)

Keepin' it real.......real safe,
Rick

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home